Your Healthiest Holiday EVER!
Hosting a holiday party and not sure what to cook to impress your guests? Keep the meal clean (and festive!) by choosing bright red and green vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, red peppers and asparagus. Start a new holiday tradition this year with these guilt-free recipes that will leave your guests begging for seconds!
Chili Lime Broccoli Salad:
Makes 4 Servings: Serving size= approximately 1 cup
Calories per serving: 71
Protein: 2.2 g
Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
Fat: 4.9 g
3 cups broccoli florets, rinsed
½ of a small red onion, chopped
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1 garlic clove, minced
1 green chili pepper, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
4 tsp. olive oil
Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- In a salad bowl, combine broccoli, onion, tomato, garlic, and chili pepper.
- Add lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and pepper and toss.
- Let sit for 10 minutes then chill before serving.
Manhattan Fish Chowder:
Makes 4 Servings: Serving Size= approximately 2 1/2 cups
Calories per serving: 277
Protein: 24.6 g
Carbohydrates: 18.8 g
Fat: 3.3 g
1 tsp. olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup white wine, (optional)
3 cups water
5 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ lbs. white fish, chopped
¼ cup fresh tarragon
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add olive oil and cook onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add wine, water, tomatoes and fish. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low for 15 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste and top with fresh tarragon.
Eggplant Frittata With Grilled Italian Vegetables:
Makes 4 servings: Serving size= approximately ¼ of frittata omelet and 1 cup of grilled vegetables.
Calories per serving: 295
Protein: 30.9 g
Carbohydrates: 12.5 g
Fat: 12.5 g
1 eggplant, chopped
2 red onions, quartered and chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves,
½ tsp. red pepper flakes or chili flakes
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
20 egg whites
½ cup dry curd cottage cheese
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ cup fresh Italian parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add vegetables, eggplant, red onions, red and orange peppers, garlic, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, olive oil through to sea salt and pepper and toss. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the vegetables are browned lightly and soft.
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, eggs, dry curd cottage cheese, dried oregano and ¼ cup of parsley. Beat well and place in an oil sprayed pan. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Chop the frittata into 4 slices. Top with the eggplant topping and remaining fresh Italian parsley.
About the writer:
Caithleen Heffernan is a Pro bikini competitor and the author of The Bikini Model Cookbook. As a gourmet chef and fitness expert, Caithleen loves to inspire women to get into the best shape of their lives and has helped hundreds of women achieve their goals.