Previous Cover Girls
She stormed onto the scene in 2010, and after taking 1st place (and the overall) at her first competition, she repeated both feats again for good measure before accomplishing the very same at the 2011 Arnold Classic. Add to those wins, several other bikini contests and you’ve got yourself a true champion in the class.
These days, Ingrid divides her time between doting on twin toddler boys and running a successful training and contest-prep business with her husband, Joe Discuillo. She even finds time to design and market her own line of fitness clothing and competition suits. On top of it all, Ingrid maintains a physique which is only ever days away from being photoshoot-ready.
TF: You are one of the most accomplished female fitness stars ever. What was your primary motivator to begin competing?
IR: Thank you! I have a friend who has competed for years. She talked me into doing a competition. I started working with my husband (who is also my trainer) and changed my eating habits. I loved the way my body responded, so I stepped on stage in my first show in October 2010 feeling great and the rest is history!
TF: You recently became a Mother of twin boys. During your pregnancy and the year that followed, you had time to focus on family and Team Edge clients, not to mention your suit-design business. Will you soon be back on stage competing, or have you began a new chapter in your life?
IR: I don’t compete anymore. I am fully dedicated to my team EDGE athletes. I co-founded the Team with my husband. I competed in several bikini shows including the Arnold in 2011 and I won the overall in all my shows so I felt it was time to move on to my next adventure and give back to help other athletes accomplish their dreams! What I am most proud of, is what I have accomplished off the stage. My personal life, goals and dreams are all right where I want them to be. My baby boys Gianni and Nicco and my husband are my biggest accomplishment! Family over anything!
TF: You’ve lived in Spain, England, Ireland and now the USA. Based on your travels, where is your one single favorite place?
IR: Ireland – I love Ireland ! I lived there 3 years and it’s amazing how friendly Irish people are!
TF: If you could give young women out there one great piece of advice, what would it be?
1. BE POSITIVE! You attract the energy you put out.
2. BE CONFIDENT! Confidence Is Key. Even if you are faking it, people respect a person with confidence. Fear paralyzes people and holds them back.
3. Live Your Passion and work with your heart! Stop wasting your precious time with a career you don’t like. This will only make you miserable. Life is too short to waste time, so let your sense of purpose motivate you to greatness.
4. Surround Yourself With Good People. The people you choose to surround yourself with can, and often do, sway your behavior, sometimes preventing you from reaching your full potential. You need to surround yourself with people who are constantly pushing themselves for the better
5. Have Fun. The most basic piece of advice — just have fun. Go out and do things for yourself that will bring you pleasure. It doesn’t matter what those things are, but if they make you happy, go out and do them.
6. Eat healthy and work out!
TF: What’s the biggest mistake you’ve made during your fitness career?
IR: Shooting with the wrong photographers. I learned very quick that there’s certain people that you want to shoot with and you can trust that they will use your image properly and some people that will try to take advantage.
TF: What advice would you give to aspiring Fitness models out there?
IR: Being a successful fitness model is a lot of work and you have to be proactive. You can’t sit back and wait for things; you have to go out and get it yourself. Most importantly you can’t be a DIVA! I strive on being easy to work with and always being helpful and approachable to others. I truly believe there is enough room in this industry for all of us. I am the first person to lend a hand in anything I can – you just have to ask.
TF: What’s one of the best things about being in business with your husband/coach?
IR: We get to spend a lot of time together, we are sharing and accomplishing our goals and dreams together. We inspire each other.
TF: What’s one of the worst things about being in business with your husband/coach?
IR: It’s hard to separate business from our personal life.
TF: Who (in the fitness industry) do you look up to or admire?
IR: Jillian Michaels because she took an opportunity and turn it into a huge business and brand for herself.
TF: Who (outside of the fitness industry) do you look up to or admire?
IR: Oprah Winfrey because she truly came from nothing and has turned into the number 1 business woman.
TF: You’ve accumulated a lot of trophies since you started competing. Which is your favorite and why?
IR: Yes! My fav is my first; the NPC Border States Classic, Oct 2010, 1st place and Overall Winner, such a magical moment, I was brand new in this industry!
7 Random Questions!
1. Cardio or Lifting? Lifting
2. Peanut Butter or Coffee? Coffee all day every day – [I’m a] coffee addict.
3. What’s your best feature? Eyes and edge booty!
4. If you had to choose between modelling or competing (not both), which would you choose? I can’t choose one as I will not be where I am without competing but modeling is a huge part of me as I have done it since 11 years old… I can’t choose I’m very passionate about both.
5. What’s your ultimate food temptation? Doughnuts and alfredo pasta with bread and butter.
6. Where do you find peace and serenity? At the gym.
7. What’s your favorite song RIGHT NOW? “Take back the Night” by Justin Timberlake.
Ingrid’s tips on balancing a hectic schedule:
– Map out a Daily game plan. If you have a plan you will be more likely to succeed!
– Try your best to have a consistent routine!
– Call on a support system. (your husband, family or friend)
– Get workouts in where you can.. (running with your baby, work out at home when they nap, etc.)
– Take one day and Prepare food for the week. This will cut down on the amount of time you would be cooking daily
– Last but not least; make sure to make time for your spouse.. Maybe a date night every other week!
– Sit back every now and then and enjoy the ride. 🙂
More on Ingrid Romero:
Instagram – @ingridromero1
Facebook – /ingridromero1985
Website – ingridromero.com (coming soon)
Blog – ingridromerofitness.com
Ingrid’s book; “Body after Baby” is available at: http://ingridromerofitness.com/body-after-baby
Ingrid’s line of competition bikinis can be seen at: http://ingridromerofitness.com/custom-competition-bikinis
Photography by Natalie Minh
Website – http://www.natalieminh.com